Meet Anne “Killer” Galyean. A smokin’ hot rider from down south.
- Name â€“ Anne Adelicia Galyean
- Nicknames â€“ Killer, Annabelle
- Age â€“ 24
- Riding Since â€“ Spring 2009
- Current Bike(s) â€“Trek Session 88, Dorado, Elka Stage 5, Kovachi-built wheels, Profile Racing drivetrain, Hayes Stroker Aces, Answer components, Team â€“ East Coast Gravity Pros/ Kovachi Wheels
- Team Sponsors â€“ Trek Bikes Atlanta, Kovachi Wheels, Hayes Bicycle Group, Profile Racing,
Astral Gear, T.H.E. Industries, L.h. Thomson components, MRP chainguides, Specialized Tires, Elka Suspension, Progold Lubricants, Five.Ten Shoes
- Riding Style â€“ downhill
- Racing Highlights â€“ 2009 Snowshoe, WV Powerade Race Series I (1st Intro), II (1st Am.), III (1st Pro), 2009 Beech Mtn Triple Crown, NC II (1st Open Women),, III (1st Open Women)
2010 Gravity East Series: Massanutten, VA 1st Cat 1 (would have been 1st Pro by 4 sec)
Riding Highlights â€“ Racing in the 2010 U.S. Open Pro Womenâ€™s class, after riding for 1 year. I was so nervous; I crashed all over the place! I learned so much watching the Pro riders on thecourse, and it really gave me something to work towards in my personal riding.
- Describe your best biking day â€“ a cool, fall weekend of shuttling with my boyfriend and our dog!
- What discipline do you want to try? – Dirt Jumping. Iâ€™m currently saving up for a hard-tail/short travel to learn to get my flow on and learn finesse. My first season was on a 48lb beast of a bike, so I learned to monster truck my way down before I learned to be smooth.
- Fav Female Rider and why? – Melissa Buhl. She is an intellectual academic as well as a Pro
Downhill racer. She gives me hope that juggling both is possible!
- Fav Male Rider and why? â€“ My boyfriend, Drew, because rides for love of the sport and enjoys every run to its fullest, regardless of whether it is a race or a day of shuttling with friends. He is also the first to tell me to get my head out of it when Iâ€™m taking it too seriously.
- Best Trick you perform â€“ Tricks just slow you down. Kidding, but my best trick is making it down a run in one piece.
- What has biking taught you? â€“ To live life for myself and not to please others.
- Career? Student? What are you studying? â€“ I have a B.S. in Chemistry and am currently
working towards a PhD at UNC Chapel Hill investigating the isolation, separation, and
characterization of engineered nanomaterials as contaminants in drinking water. Ideally, I will someday work at an environmental engineering firm designing small-scale water treatment facilities.
- Fav place to ride? â€“ Snowshoe Mountain Bike Park, WV; Windrock, TN
- Fav people to ride with? – Drew, and my fellow East Coast Gravity team members: Chuck,
Greg, and Ethan
- Headphones or no headphones when you ride? â€“ no headphones
- Favourite music? â€“ Metalcore and bluegrass.
- Other sports? â€“ Water Polo. I play for the UNC Club Womenâ€™s Team as well as a local masterâ€™s team in my area.
- iphone or Blackberry or Android? â€“ Android!
- Cats or Dogs? – Dogs
- Dream Bike â€“ I have it!
- Favourite Biking Gear â€“ 5.10 Shoesâ€¦. I have 3 pair: Karvers, Minaars, and my Desert Enforcers! Also a big fan of my T.H.E. Industries helmet that has been repainted with the molecular structure of adrenaline, and the periodic element of silver. Such a geek.
- Clipped in or Flats? â€“ Both: clips for rocks and pedally courses and flats for loose or
- Shuttle or Climb? â€“ Definitely shuttle.
Thanks Anne. We wish you a strong and injury-free race season.
One thought on “Muddbunnies Introduces: Anne “Killer” Galyean”
Wow – this chick is such an inspiration. Only riding a year and she is killing it! Loving that science nerds make the best bikers 😉 Good luck for both her studies and riding!