Over the past few years, Pipeline Bike Club has put on the Indoor 4x Series, and had a great time doing it. But during the 2010 Summer riding season, Pipeline dissolved the relationship with Pipeline Bike Park and the City of Coquitlam. It was a 7 year run, and although we’re not managing the park, it’s still a great place to ride! To keep the racing spirit going, Rockabilly Racing was formed to continue on running the Abbotsford 4x Series.
Rockabilly’s mandate is grassroots racing in all its forms. Although we run bike races, we’ve loved racing everything on wheels. And seeing the mods riders have made to make their bikes lighter and faster on the track are really reminiscent of classic drag racing and hot rodding. We’re here to maintain that gritty culture and keep the 4x series fun and full of great racing!
A couple of new sponsors have stepped up to help support this grassroots series as well! Chromag bikes is one of the new sponsors of the series. Based out of Whistler BC, this local rider-owned company is well known for building top-notch components and bikes in many colourways to really customize your ride. Their handlebars will drop 2 seconds off your lap time. I’m not even lying. Check em out! www.chromagbikes.com
Rockabilly Racing’s Abbotsford Indoor 4x #1 November 16, 2010 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Abbotsford Indoor 4x #2 November 23, 2010 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Women’s 4x Clinic November 30, 2010 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Abbotsford Indoor 4x #3 January 18, 2011 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Abbotsford Indoor 4x #4 January 25, 2011 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Open 4x Clinic February 1, 2011 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Abbotsford Indoor 4x #5 February 8, 2011 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Rockabilly Racing’s Abbotsford Indoor 4x #6 Finals February 18, 2011 8:00 pm Abbotsford, BC Abbotsford Agrifair (Indoor BMX)
Before we get into the rules of the series, we’ve got 2 new classes (rider turnout depending). Vet Pro and Vet Open for those riders looking to bang bars with the guys they’ve been racing for years. If you’re fast, but don’t need to prove it against the 18 yr olds, then these classes are for you guys!
…And now on to the rules of the series. PLEASE READ!!
1) 2009 LICENCES APPLY!!! If you haven’t gotten your CCA/UCI/CYCLING BC license, or annual Rockabilly Club Membership, this would be the place to snag a new one.
* Rockabilly Membership – $35 for new members, $30 for existing Pipeline Bike Club members
* Two Year 2010-2011 Membership (Pro Rated and req for the full Indoor 4x season): $60
* Rockabilly Membership (Assoc Membership – if you’re part of another club) – $10 (per year)
* Rockabilly Membership if you have a full UCI License – $2 (per year)
2) Rider Meeting is 8pm and the gate drops at 8:10, so if you’re coming from downtown Vancouver, You should be able to get there before 7pm, giving you a ton of practice time before racing.
3) RANDOM GATE: The new UCI random gate has a similar call to the one in the last race, but the actually gate drop is randomized to prevent early starts & slingshots. If you think BMX racers have an advantage, think again. If you’re used to the old gate start, PLEASE PRACTICE THE NEW GATE a few times before the race.
4) Elimination Rounds: The elimination tournament rounds will be listed on the wall by the finishline after the break. These will be updated with each round of eliminations. If you think you’ve been eliminated, please check the board to confirm.
5) BMX Safety rules apply. Full Face Helmets, Covered Arms (Jersey or pads), Covered Legs (Pants or pads) and gloves are required. If you don’t have a full face, let us know. We may be able to help.
6) Races are held at Abbotsford Indoor BMX. Directions can be found HERE!
7) Race will be set up as a 3 moto mixed qualifier followed by elimination rounds, mains, and consolation rounds. This means you’re guaranteed at least 3 races per entry.
8) There are 7 official classes: Pro, Vet Pro (35+), Lites, Open, Vet Open, (35+), Women, and Juniors. This may change depending on how many entries we have. If you’re under 12, new to the sport, or whatever, Don’t Worry! We’ll have a competitive, yet fun class for you. Series Points will be based on your class, not who you end up racing.
9) PLEASE BRING A NUMBER PLATE. We’ll have extras, but if you can bring your own, that would be great. Thanks!
10) Riders who sign up for a Pipeline Membership can only practice at the Abbotsford Indoor on the Tuesdays and Thursdays we have the track reserved. If you want to ride more at this awesome venue, please support your local track and buy a full membership. Special rates apply for 09 AND 10 memberships.
11) Be Safe out there! Block passes and lane changes get really tight when the racing goes in-door. If you’re racing Pro, the racing will be tight, but no one out there is racing to take anyone down. Don’t take it personal if you get run high or blocked, you just got caught in a bad spot. Shake hands across the line, and please speak to the organizer if you feel your claim deserves a protest.
12) 4x Bike Requirements: Bike MUST conform to TWO of the following: 26″ Wheels, Front Suspension, or Shifting Gears. 4x is a sport ridden on mountain bikes. Try and keep your bike looking and riding like one.
13) Points Breakdown is as follows:
1st Place – 6 pts
2nd Place – 4 pts
3rd Place – 3 pts
4th Place – 2 pts
5th Place – 2 pts
>6th Place – 1 pt
14) To qualify for the Season End Points Awards, you must race in at least 3 races AND the Finals.
* Everyone who shows up to the race gets at least 1 point, so even if you’re not a contender for the title, it’s still worth hitting all the races to gather points towards the final. We also award the same points for 4th and 5th to award the rider who worked their butt off to win the consolation round. If you don’t make the main, it’s still worth the effort.
15) SANDBAG RULE – There will be mandatory upgrades for riders who consistently did well in their respective classes. No sandbagging allowed! Rider list for mandatory upgrades will come in the next few weeks.
Pro – $15 per race ($5 goes back into the pro purse)
4X Lites – $12 per race
Open Women – $12 per race
Open Men – $12 per race
Junior – $12 per race
Practice – $5 per sesh
And a VERY Special Thanks to our generous sponsors!